data:application/octet-stream;charset=utf-16le;base64,SSB3YW50IEhUTUwtZW5jb2Rl
Propellerads

Monday, December 26, 2016

Find the mistake in each of the following sentences, then write them correctly:


Find the mistake in each of the following sentences, then write them correctly:
1-    His father gave him some valuable advices.
2-    He refused to give me any informations.
3-    The number of women are increasing.
4-    The police are doing his best.
5-    The cattle is in the field.
6-    Mathematics are my favorite subject.
7-    I want to have my hairs cut.

Countable and uncountable nouns:
Compare:
1-I eat a banana. I like bananas.
2-I eat rice. I like rice.
Banana is a countable noun. It can be singular or plural but rice is an uncountable noun. Uncountable nouns are things we cannot count.
1-    There is a beach near here.
2-    There is sand in my shoes.
3-    Helen was singing a song.
4-    She was listening to some music.
5-    Have you got a ten-pound note?
1-    Have you got any money?
2-    It wasn’t your fault. It was an accident.
3-    It wasn’t your fault. It was bad luck.
4-    There are no batteries in the radio.
5-    There is no electricity in this house.
6-    We haven’t got enough cups.
7-    We haven’t got enough water.

Countable nouns:
1-    We can use a/an with countable nouns.
2-    We cannot use singular countable nouns alone without a/an/the/my etc..
3-    We can use plural countable nouns alone.
4-    We can use some and any with plural countable nouns.
5-    We use many and few with plural countable nouns.
Uncountable nouns:
1-    We cannot use a/an with uncountable nouns.
2-    We use :
A bowl of rice
A piece of music
A drop of water
A game of tennis
3-We can use uncountable nouns alone without the/my/some.
4-We can use some and any with uncountable nouns.
5-We use much and little with uncountable nouns.
Countable nouns:
1-    Did you hear a noise?
2-    I bought a paper to read.
3-    There is a hair in my soup!
4-    You can stay with us. There a spare room.
5-    I had some interesting experiences while I was away.
6-    Enjoy your holiday. Have a good time!
Uncountable nouns:
1-    There is too much noise.
2-    I need some paper to write on.
3-    You have got long hair.
4-    You can’t sit here. There isn’t room.
5-    They offered me the job because I had a lot of experience.
6-    I can’t wait. I haven’t got time.
There are some nouns that are usually uncountable in English but often countable in other languages:
Accommodation/advice/baggage/behaviour/bread/
chaos/damage/furniture/
/luck/luggage/news/information/permission/progress/scenery/traffic/weather/work
Note:
1-    You cannot use a/an with them.
2-    They are not plural.
3-    We can say: We had a very good journey. Not a good travel.
Countable nouns:
1-I am looking for a job.
2-What a beautiful view!
3-It’s a nice day.
4-We had a lot of bags.
5-These chairs are mine.
6-It was a good suggestion.
Uncountable nouns:
1-I am looking for work.
2-What beautiful scenery!
3-It’s nice weather today.
4-this furniture is mine.
5-It was good advice.
Note:
1-    We need three counsel[not counsels] to defend the case.
2-    He is a man of his word.
3-    Upon my word.
4-    I never go back on my word.
5-    I like all kinds of fruit.
6-    What fruits do you like to have?
7-    Half of the work was done by me.
8-    The cattle are in the field.
9-    Bread and butter is eaten with jam.
10-Neither she nor her sister likes him.
11-Either he or his brother is to blame.
12-Every cask smells of the wine it contains.
13-They, as well as he, are happy.
14-Everything comes to him who waits.
15-None of us is perfect.
16-The number of visitors is small.
17-A number of players are still waiting.
18-It is they who must pay dearly.
19-There is many a slip twixt cup and lip.
20-There are many who love to praise right and do wrong.


No comments:

Post a Comment